Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Thyroid

I don't know about you, but I research everything pertaining to my health concerns. I am kind of a control freak like that! I feel knowledge is power and if I obtain the knowledge I have some power over my health. I don't blindly listen to my doctors. This kind of craziness has proven effective in my own treatment.

My first GP told me he doesn't treat thyroid disease until the TSH is above 10. I ran not walked to a doctor that believed under 2 is best for TTC and pregnancy. I explained that I was TTC and I thought under 2 was best. He said no that I would most likely be hyper then. What? I found GP's are not a good source of knowledge when it comes to thyroid disease. When I asked about thyroid antibody tests, he looked at me as if I said it in Swahili.

I was talking to a woman the other day. I could not help but notice her neck. I could clearly see the outline of her thyroid. I debated on telling her that I believed that she had a thyroid disorder. But would she look at me like, butt out of my health? I didn't have to! She proceeded to tell me she was in the process of getting a diagnosis of Hashimoto but said she feels fine except for a little tired. I said I would get on medication now before the symptoms really start. It is a disease that slowly progresses. She said her doctor told her that as well. I am going to need the name and number of this GP. She appeared to to still be in the denial stage right now. I hope she gets the treatment she needs.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment