Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Join the movement.

I joined the movement because I am the 1 in 8. My friends and family knows my history as well as the ladies I communicate with on the various internet sites I subscribe to. They know I have had  one miscarriage and battle infertility for 3 years due to Hashimoto (an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid gland causing hypothyroidism) and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). For the most part, educating my family and friends were easy. I am an open book and felt very comfortable talking about what is was like to battle a disease that is not looked at like any other disease. They understood and when ever anyone had questions I would answer them openly. On occasion I would get the "Why don't you adopt?" or questions like that. I would explain that I am not closed the idea but I would love to have a biological and hope beyond hope that someday it will happen.

When I came out on Facebook about my struggles with infertility, I was floored with how many private messages I received with support and stories about their own struggles. Every so often, I would get that one person that did not get it. I joked one day about charging people money for every hurtful comment about infertility and the price was contingent on how hurtful the statement was in my opinion. I wrote further that I would have money for IVF in no time. One person replied that if I can't handle the comments then I shouldn't talk about such personal things on social media. A coworker saw the comment before I did. She replied that instead of further tearing someone down that is going through a major life crisis that we should instead support and respect them. She later sent me a private messaged me stating that she is not currently trying to conceive but I have educated her on the subject. She told me that she supports and respects my cause. This touched me more than anything. A woman that is not currently trying to conceive or going through infertility, understands and is supportive.

I may have only educated one person throughout my three years. I may have reached only one person. I joined the movement not only for me but for the 7.3 million men and women that are dealing with the emotional, physical, and financial pain of infertility. Emily Dickinson said it best...

If I can stop one heart from breaking,

I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.




          

1 comment:

  1. This is a really important post. Thank you for writing it. I'm so glad that you were so courageous and open about your infertility. I'm glad that you received mostly positive feedback, and I'm so sorry for the negative feedback you received. How cool though that one of the people you educated about infertility ended up going to bat for you. I love that.

    ReplyDelete