Monday, January 7, 2013

Depression and infertility

Grieving is very common when battling infertility. The stages of grief are as follows; Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. I have gone through these stages before but I wanted to focus on Depression.

Depression
Depression is often a common feature with infertility. Depression can be a serious mental health concern. If depression is keeping you from completing the daily tasks or even getting out of bed, I urge you to talk with a mental health provider. I think it is good for anyone going through this to seek out counseling. Depression can come out in the form of anger as well. Suicidal ideation can also be associated with depression. I urge you, If you have had thoughts of suicide to seek out help. I read an alarming statistic this weekend that 1 in 5 people battling infertility have had suicidal ideation at some point. If someone you know is suicidal call 911 if they have a plan. Do not brush it off. Do not try to handle it yourself. Suicide.org is a great resource.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment